Travellers can expect traffic delays on the Canso Causeway next week.
Nova Scotia Power is repairing concrete foundations supporting transmission structures along the causeway. The work, which is set to include unloading equipment, pouring concrete, finalizing the repairs and site cleanup, is scheduled for Tuesday, October 15, to Friday, October 18. There will be traffic lane closures on the northbound land of the causeway and traffic control personnel will be on site to direct traffic and minimize disruptions.
A public hearing regarding the transfer of the Canso electric utility is set for later this month.
Earlier this year, the Municipality of the District of Guysborough and Nova Scotia Power filed an application with the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board to transfer the Canso Electric Light Utility from the county to NSP. In order for the power rates to change to Nova Scotia Power’s rates, the residential customer class rates will increase by 12.3 per cent while the small general and general classes with decrease by 19.2 per cent and 14.6 per cent respectively.
No one filed evidence opposing the application.
The venue for the public hearing has changed from Canso to the UARB offices in Halifax and is set for 10 a.m. on October 22. There was one request filed to speak during the session.
After the Town of Canso dissolved and amalgamated with the Municipality of the District of Guysborough in 2012, Guysborough absorbed the former town’s electric utility. The Town of Canso council passed a resolution to sell the utility in 2010 and after Guysborough looked for a body to assume operations of the utility, Nova Scotia Power was the only viable candidate.
Guysborough’s application before the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board would see the utility switch hands at a cost of $1 and become official on January, 2020. The municipality is set to still own the financial assets within the utility and as part of the process, NSP will invest close to $500,000 to upgrade infrastructure in the county.
Nova Scotia Power and Port Hawkesbury paper are looking to change their power agreement.
The two companies have an application before the Nova Scotia Utilities and Review Board seeking approval of the extra large industrial active demand control tariff. Port Hawkesbury Paper, NSP’s largest customer, currently operates under a load retention tariff pricing mechanism, which received approval in 2012 and is set to expire at the end of this year.
An email from NSP spokesperson Patti Lewis states the requested active demand control tariff would provide Port Hawkesbury Paper with a sustainable electricity rate. The email also states an approval of the new tariff would see PHP effectively turn over control of its electricity usage to Nova Scotia Power. Lewis stated this would better balance the overall load on the electricity system and better match the mill’s operation with system costs and conditions.
Warden Vernon Pitts says he expects to see the transfer of assets of the Canso Electric Light Utility (CEU) from the Municipality of the District of Guysborough to Nova Scotia Power (NSP) happen by the end of the year.
Following their monthly council meeting Pitts told reporters that the transfer is in the works and it’s presently before the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board and the municipality hopes to see the agreement transfer of assets be finalized and in NSP hands by the new year.
The sale is for a nominal sum of $1 pursuant to an agreement of purchase and sale made effective Jan. 1, 2020.
The joint-application reads the CEU can no longer be maintained without large investments in infrastructure and equipment as current electricity rates in Canso don’t cover operating expenses. The costs to continue to operate CEU for the municipality would have a significant impact on electricity rates for CEU’s residential customers – estimated to be a 40 per cent increase.
Residents of Northeastern Nova Scotia are cleaning up in the aftermath of post-tropical storm Dorian.
A number of residents still find themselves without electricity, with close to 200-thousand homes and businesses still without electricity in the province.
All Nova Scotia public schools and NSCC Campuses are closed today. Some local businesses and social enterprises are also shut down for the day.
Several buildings have been provided this afternoon as warming centres for local residents including the Antigonish County Municipal Building, Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex in Guysborough, Indian Harbour Lake/Jordanville Community Centre, Port Bickerton Community Centre, and fire halls in Louisdale, Island Madame, Caribou Fire and the Little Harbour.
The outages are also affecting some water and sewer systems. Inverness County is asking residents to conserve water by not flushing toilets, taking showers and baths or washing clothes. Bottled water is recommended for human consumption such as drinking and brushing teeth.
With Hurricane Dorian set to hit the area over the weekend, A release from Nova Scotia Power states the utility is mobilizing personnel and resources
Karen Hutt, president and CEO of Nova Scotia Power, said the company is mobilizing around 1,000 personnel to respond to the hurricane, adding they’ll be ready to safely restore power to customers as soon as possible.
NSP is also activating its Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) at noon on Friday to plan and manage its storm response.
The release also states Nova Scotia Power is coordinating with the Nova Scotia Emergency Management Office.
Nova Scotia Power’s Generating Station in Point Tupper will soon look a bit different. A 91-meter stack that’s been at the station for 50 years is being dismantled. The stack has been out of service since the station’s Unit Number One generator was decommissioned in 1987.
The stack will be removed layer by layer. The work will take about three months to complete. The first phase took place last year with the removal of the inner lining.
A second 101-metre stack remains in service for the Unit Number Two generator.
The Point Tupper Generating Station, which has been in operation since 1969 produces 154 megawatts of electricity.
Nova Scotia Power is touting the safety work at a local generating station.
Earlier this year, the team at the Point Tupper Generating station reached one million hours without a lost time incident, amounting to almost a decade of safety performance.
A release from NSP stated the plant’s 63 employees work to safely generate reliable electricity every day. Steve Kyle, Plant Manager at Point Tupper, attributed the million-hour milestone to the teamwork at the plant.
A local municipality is looking to transfer an electric utility to the province’s power provider.
When the Town of Canso dissolved in 2012, the town’s electric utility was also absorbed by the Municipality of the District of Guysborough when the municipalities amalgamated.
Guysborough CAO Barry Carroll said the town of Canso council passed a resolution to sell the utility in 2010. After Guysborough looked for a body to assume operations of the utility, Nova Scotia Power was the only viable candidate.
Guysborough’s application before the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, which would become official on January 1, 2020, will see the utility switch hands at a cost of $1. Carroll said a lot of the assets in the utility are depreciated. He said the municipality will still own the financial assets within the utility and as part of the process, NSP will invest close to $500,000 to upgrade infrastructure in Canso.
Carroll said the UARB will likely make a call for further input, with a call for public comment coming likely in the fall. The UARB will then decide whether or not to hold a public hearing.
Nova Scotia Power is spending over $850,000 in equipment upgrades in Port Hawkesbury. The work is set to begin today and run for about two months.
A release from NSP states the work will involve replacing 32 power poles and upgrading equipment along Reeves Street, which they say will help reduce unplanned outages in the area.
Sections of Reeves Street will be reduced to three lanes of traffic Monday through Thursday each week from 7 AM to 5 PM and traffic control personnel will be on-site. They are asking motorists to stay attentive in the work area.
David Rhodenizer, a spokesperson for NSP, said NSP invests around $100 million each year for service reliability projects.
Rhodenizer said the current infrastructure is at the end of its expected lifespan, noting the poles being replaced are around 40 years old.